Sunday, April 22, 2007

Is this an Indonesian Soldier (or maybe bureaucrat) mentality?



I found this picture from here. It's made me wonder, how is this could happened? A Chief in Command of Indonesia Army Special Unit lower his body, showed his 'inappropriate' respect to a former convicted criminal, Tommy Soeharto? What in the hell...

It so frustrating! I was so speechless for many seconds when seeing this. Well, suddenly I was realise that maybe because I live in Eastern culture that we need to keep up our cultural values, showed respect to elders and the respect-worth ones. And sometimes, we just did it, not even think about how we suppose to do that? Of course we do need to show our respect to elders and or anyone, not only on cultural based judgement, but more likely based on the assumption that they deserved it! They deserved to be respected because what they did has give something for others. I am not talking about casual form of our relationships with parents or elders, but on formal relations with colleagues, friends, your bosses in social or formal institutions (or I could say, in bureaucracy).

Do we need to show some of this attitude when meet our boss or supervisor? Do we really have to lower our head (hey, it's kind bit different with Japanese, right?) infront of them? Why we should? Or worse in this case, a Chief of Special Unit in Indonesia Army show his respect to someone like Tommy Soeharto? Well, I know that our bureacracy cultural values still prioritise such symbolic attitude for particular reasons. I don't blame them, nor judged them as ass kisser(?). Maybe they just did it because they are truely Indonesians, highly respect their common values and cultural heritages.

Well.. I don't know, really... I can't tell no more.
I am so speechless.

No comments: