Thursday, April 19, 2007

Who, Me? Well....


Hi all, Me, Erdian Dharmaputra, or you can call me with my maiden name Donie, as my close friends, parents and my brothers used to call my by that name. I am the 2nd of five siblings. My father was a pensioner from government office and my mom was also already been retired as an elementary school teacher in Bengkulu.

I was born in Pekanbaru, Riau in 1976, and spend mostly of my teenager life in Medan, North Sumatera. I lived in a small boarding house with my two brothers, Andi and Wawan. Andi, my big brother, is two years older than me and Wawan is one year younger. Three of us enabled to become as independent sons, as my father and my mom along with the two younger brothers, Iir and Angga, stayed in Aceh province for six years. My father was assigned by the office where he worked for in three different areas of Aceh province during that time, Kutacane (the capitol of Southeast Aceh), Lhokseumawe (Norht Aceh) and Banda Aceh.

While I graduated from high school (SMA I Medan), I took architechture program study in the University of North Sumatera. I can tell you that the program study was not my field of interest since it was become my last option in State University Test (UMPTN). Even though I took physics major when I was in the high school, my intention was to continue my study in economic and management. However, I failed to enter the first option of my study, which was the economic and management in University of Gadja Mada. Then, I get stucked in the Architecture program.

It was only one year last. I was furious with the program and decided to follow another test for entering another program study in ohter university. I was too excited, and kept silent for the test as my father wanted me to focus with my current subject. As the test day came, I told my father that I was intended to leave the course and ask his 'bless' before take the test. He surprised, and ask me why? I told him that I cannot continue the program because I feel that drawing, sketching and stay for hours in drawing studio was not my interest. I feel so bored, I told him. He understand, and allowed me to take the test with one condition, "You have to choose Medicine study, because I want you to become a doctor, like your brother". What? But, I followed his wish and put the Medicine program as my first option for entering university. And, for other two options, I put also Medicine program and International Relations respectively. Shortly, the result came in and again, I was fail to enter Medicine faculty and accepted in my last option, International Relations in Padjadjaran University.

I can tell you that I was the first member of the family landed in Java Island for study. I never been to visit Jakarta or even Bandung before. And, there are no my father or my mother relatives live in Jakarta or Bandung. So, with only my friend's brother name and address in my hand, Ikhsan, I went to Bandung. As I landed in Husein Sastranegara airport in Bandung, I was surprised because Ikhsan waited for me in the airport! Phuih, thanks a lot. Shortly, I stayed with him in Dago for a while before I found my own room in Jatinangor, Sumedang, which was so close the campus. And as the time went by, I completed my degree in five years for International Relations studies in the University, from 1995 to 2000.

As I graduated, I had a job as Management Trainee in Sinar Mas Insurance in Jakarta, and then after six months, they posted me to the branch office in Batam Island. I only survived for two months working in the Island because I have so many different point of views with the manager. Then, I decided to quit and return to Jakarta. But, too bad, I have to pay training compensation fee as I broke the contract agreement mentioned that I have to stay at least two years working for the company.

I went back to Jakarta/Bandung, jobless. I eagerly looked for any job vacancies at newspapers and the internet. Shortly, after experiencing several job interviews, finally, I was accepted as a reporter at TEMPO Inti Media. It was only for nine months I worked here. I was quit not only because I was also being accepted working for the Ministry of Finance, but also TEMPO management put my career as a reporter on the brink as they extended my probation. I was want to be a reporter, but I was not secure enough when they did the extension thing. So, decided to leave TEMPO and start my career as government employee.

As I quit from TEMPO and started to work for the Ministry, I decided to proposed Tuty Nurhasanah, the girl I have known since I was become a reporter, to be my wife after six months engagement. And in 19 February 2005, we were officialy announced as a husband and wife. A year after our married, I received a scholarship offer from the Australian government to study in any universities in Australia for master program. The University of Sydney became my first option after heard some advice from friends and colleagues. And shortly, after six months stayed in Sydney, my wife got pregnant and we decided to do the labour in Jakarta, as we a little bit nervous to have our first baby without relatives and families surround. Well, the baby, Tadzkiya Amalia Dharmaputra, was born normally in 4 February 2007 while Jakarta strucked by heavy rains and floods.

Now, here I am, studying at the University of Sydney, Australia, taking Master degree in Economic (Social Science). Until now, I have been working for 4 years now with the Treasury Department, Ministry of Finance. My last position before I went to Sydney was as a Budget Execution Staff in Regional Office IX Pangkalpinang, Bangka Belitung Island Province. And now, I am struggling to finish up my dissertation on the issue of Indonesia's Debt Management and return to Indonesia in this July or August.

Finally, Wish Me Luck!

No comments: